Monday, October 29, 2007

five love languages for children

Last night for family night, I decided our family could use a little more "love giving." I gave a small book report on "The Five Love Languages for Children" which by the way is a must-have as your children get older. The five love languages are quality time, acts of service, words of affirmation, physical touch, and gift giving. I explained each one and asked the kids some questions to find out what they thought theirs was. To my surprise, they all knew right off, without much help from me, what their love language was. Kelsey is torn between gift giving and acts of service, Grant is physical touch with a secondary of words of affirmation, and Kaylee is quality time with a little of physical touch. We were able to talk about what is important to all of us and how we need to share our love for each other in the way they need. We also talked about what hurts each of us the most, so that we can avoid doing that. It was nice. I really enjoyed having us all try to understand each other more. Later on we made caramel apple dip (we were going to do caramel apples, but too many people snuck into the caramels and there was not enough). Then we went for a family walk. It was my favorite kind of day. I love Sundays. We get to just focus on church and family and we don't have to feel rushed with all our daily activities such as work, business, errands, housecleaning, etc. It's nice to just take time and focus on what is importan.

5 comments:

SHERI said...

Sounds so nice. I need to read that book.

Kenyon said...

That sounds like a perfect day. I havent read the one about kids love languages yet, I will soon. Family walks are my very favorite thing:)

Jamie said...

I wish my kiddos were old enough to really benefit from it now!! But that is ok because I know I can use it in the future and I also love family walks:)

Anonymous said...

That's so awesome that you did that with your family. I can't wait to read that book.

You are such a great mom!!!!

barbafamily said...

Wow! This post is very inspiring to me - what a great idea! You are such a wonderful mother and I love the example that you are! You are one of my most favorite people!